Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bean is a wiggler!

On Monday (2/7/2011), we had our first OB appointment.  My blood pressure was a little high (135/85), but I had taken it at home before the appointment and it was normal then, so I brought my blood pressure monitor with me to the appointment and took it after the nurse took it and it was similar, so it looks like I was just anxious or something.  So that's a really great sign that my blood pressure is still normal every day.  My doctor said that I should continue to take it the same time every day and look for changes in it.

We talked to the doctor about the various screening and diagnostic tests we could do for Bean to determine any chromosomal problems.  The "First Screen" is a screening test they do between weeks 11-14 and really only gives you a set of odds one way or another regarding the likelihood of the baby having an issue.  Because Brady had T-13, we now have a 1% chance of having another baby with a chromosome problem (Downs, T-18, T-13) instead of 1/2%, so she said that she would recommend we go straight to a diagnostic test and skip the screening test if we are interested in doing anything.  The diagnostic test in the first trimester is a CVS test, which involves taking a biopsy of the placenta and has a small risk of miscarriage.  Paul and I decided we aren't going to do anything that has any risk of miscarriage, so we are just going to have faith that God has blessed us with a healthy baby this time.

The doctor did an ultrasound, so we got to see Bean again!  He was wiggling around a bunch - it was so cute!!  This time he had short legs and arms, instead of just arm buds.  Since the doctor was using an older machine in the exam room instead of one of the high tech machines, we didn't get any pictures this time, so we'll have to wait until the mid-pregnancy ultrasound to see him again.  Such a long wait!

I decided to rent a heartbeat monitor again.  I didn't think I would want to, but I really don't like surprises, which I got a lot of each time I went to the doctor with Brady, so I want to be able to hear Bean's heartbeat every day.  Plus, when I used to listen to Brady's heartbeat, it made me feel like I had a closer connection to him, which I really liked.  So I want that same connection with Bean.  I get the monitor on Friday, so hopefully Bean will be big enough at that point for me to be able to hear his heartbeat with the monitor.  My doctor said that their monitors can typically pick it up around 10 weeks, so I'm hoping the one I rent is just as good.  We shall see.

I've gotten much more exhausted this week.  I need at least 9 hours of sleep each night and I'm still tired.  I'm also still very hungry and eat a ton.  I feel like I'm already showing a lot, although to someone who doesn't know me, I probably just look fat at this point :)  But that's ok with me.  I can't wear my old jeans anymore, so I'm wearing the jeans and pants I wore when I was trying to lose weight after having Brady.  I'm not quite big enough for the maternity pants yet, but I'm looking forward to the day that I am big enough for them because they are so comfortable!

At this point, I'm about 137 lbs and 34.75", so I've gained about 3 lbs and 2-3".  And I'm only 10 weeks tomorrow!  Craziness.  I guess my body was already so used to being pregnant that it decided to stretch out early.  Hopefully that means it will slow down at some point or else I'm going to be huge!  LOL!

2 comments:

spoon said...

mexican jumping bean

Christie said...

So excited for you guys. I'm just a week and a half behind you. I hope the nausea ideas are helping! Feel good and keep feeding the bean!