Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dublin Day #4

10/25/07

Today, we got up quite refreshed since we got so much sleep and rest yesterday. We ate breakfast and then went down to the bar to get on the internet, which is what we’ll be doing most of the day since we bought a 24 hour internet card. However, I feel that even though the city doesn’t really appeal to us, I need to get out and see a few more of the major sights since we are here and I don’t want to regret not seeing them.

We went to lunch around 3:00, back to Elephant and Castle. Paul got the hot wings, which were really awesome, and I got the sandwich I got yesterday (a saut̩ed shrimp sandwich with bacon, coriander cream, and roasted red peppers РYUM!). After lunch, I went out to explore the city a little more while Paul went back to the hotel room.

So I walked down Grafton Street, which is the main shopping street. Lots of shops and restaurants, McDonalds and Burger King of course, but nothing too exciting.





There was this one guy “playing” this weird “instrument”. You decide for yourself what it is.



And there was a little band playing too.



And what is Captain America doing here?



At the end of Grafton Street is where St Stephens Green starts, which is a big park. Here is the big arch entrance.




And right outside of the park is a shopping mall; although it doesn’t look much like one. And below the mall was a TGI Fridays!



Here is the park. It was so pretty and peaceful. It’s nice to see all this nature since we’ve been in cities so much.





Duckies!








Then I walked to the castle, which turned out not to be very cool looking, so I didn’t go inside. It’s being used as a government facility now, so it’s not very exciting. The cathedral was the best looking, but still not great. And on the way, I saw Bud Light neon signs outside of a bar! Ugh, don’t these people know that Bud is crap and their local beer is SOOOO good?!?!?



This is in the castle's courtyard. Plain, isn't it?








This is the cathedral. Much prettier, but a very low WOW factor. I give it a 4.


And here is City Hall. This city just reminds me of Washington D.C. so it’s really not much different from home. We are hoping that Galway is much more authentic Irish.



Tonight we are going to take it easy, but we are going to try to watch the VT vs. BC game on ESPN 360! I guess we’ll be up late. GO HOKIES!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, sounds like you guys are way done with Dublin. Other than the brew houses it does just look like another big city. Really, my heart just breaks for you being stuck in Ireland. Really. :o)

Kristie, excellent work on the blogging!

All the folks here at GMR say hi.

- Jerry

Unknown said...

P.S.

Maybe you should have went sight-seeing, rather than watch the VT game. :o(

Anonymous said...

Okay I am just finalizing my flight now can you pick me up at the airport?? LOL! OMG your blog is SPECTACULAR! I feel like I am there with you. Well okay not really, but I am sooo jealous! Your pix look great and really explains a lot of what you are seeing. I am glad that you are hanging out and taking in some of the nightlife too - and the food I gbet is delish!! Well, keep having fun and I'll check back soon! -Patty